What a magnificent finish at the Vonovia Ruhrstadion! This Saturday afternoon, VfL Bochum 1848 won another spectacular home match. Right from the start, Robin Dutt’s team clearly dominated the game but unfortunately were trailing for a long time, after Aue’s Testroet scored the early opener with only 120 seconds on the clock. Luckily, Bochum have a player in the squad who is literally on fire at the moment. First, Tom Weilandt equalised in the 73rd minute and crowned his superb performance with the first-class winner only seconds before the final whistle! The vast majority among the 17,021 spectators were simply over the moon.

Match day 14 of the Bundesliga 2 campaign 2018/19 and after two Monday night fixtures, VfL Bochum 1848 welcomed currently 13th placed Erzgebirge Aue for the Saturday afternoon match in front of 17,012 spectators at the Vonovia Ruhrstadion. VfL manager Robin Dutt made one change to his starting XI in comparison to the home win against SV Darmstadt two weeks ago. Görkem Saglam made his starting debut this season and replaced Robin Kruse who was sidelined due to a leg injury he suffered during the international break. Chung Yong Lee took his place on the subs bench. Apart from that, the VfL squad remained unchanged. Aue’s manager Daniel Meyer reshuffled his team on two positions. Convalescent Martin Männel returned to his place between the sticks and Florian Krüger made his professional debut, replacing Dimitrij Nazarov. With Maclom Cacutalua, who started as central defender, and Dominik Wydra as substitute player, two former Bochum players made it to the away squad.

Both teams started furiously into the match. No more than twenty seconds were on the clock when a splendid pass by Saglam found Tom Weilandt in the box. Unfortunately, Aue’s keeper Männel was on the spot to defuse the shot. Only one minute later, the away team had their first chance of the match and in contrast to Bochum, they were able to convert this opportunity. Pascal Testroet received a pass by Florian Kürger from the flanks and scored the opener. Of course, this helped the away team very much as they now were able to fully concentrate on their defensive play and patiently wait for possible opportunities to counter-attack. VfL had their problems to create compelling chances upfront. Nevertheless, they kept pushing forward but neither Saglam nor Robert Tesche or any other Bochum player were able to convert their shooting chances in the first twenty minutes. After 22 minutes, Aue’s Steve Breitkreutz had to be replaced by Wydra due to an injury after a duel with Tesche.

After 25 minutes, Dennis Kempe was booked after fouling Tom Weilandt deep in Aue’s half. The consistent free-kick by Sidney Sam did not lead to goal and also the following corner kick created no real danger for Aue’s defenders. VfL kept controlling the match and were in possession of the ball for most of the time but Robin Dutt’s team simply did not find a way to overcome the compact defence. This did not change until the referee blew the half-time whistle.

Bochum returned to the pitch unchanged while Aue’s manager Meyer decided to bring on Fabian Kalig who replaced the goal scorer Testroet. Once again, it only took a few seconds for Bochum to create their first proper chance. Sam tried his luck from outside the box but his shot in the 47th minute was deflected and went wide. In the following, the match got more and more physical with former Bochum player Wydra seeing the yellow card after a rude foul against Tesche in the 50th minute. He was lucky to not being sent off shortly afterwards as he committed another foul against Saglam only three minutes later. Meanwhile, Bochum created a number of chances and even put the ball into the net after a free kick but the ref denied the goal in the 54th minute because Hinterseer was offside when passing the ball towards the potential goal scorer Tesche. With 57 minutes on the clock, Dutt made his first substitution. Lee replaced Saglam. Bochum got stronger minute by minute and after Kempe fouled Weilandt inside the box they were even awarded a penalty. Unluckily, Hinterseer could not convert the penalty kick as his shot only hit the woodwork. Robin Dutt reacted and fielded a second striker in the 63rd minute, as Ganvoula replaced Sam.

Yet, Bochum were still struggling to score. Both, team and fans kept on fighting for the equaliser and finally rewarded themselves in the 72nd minute! A cross from the flanks flew into the box and wasn’t defended properly so finally Weilandt got his foot on the ball and converted from central position. It was not only the long-awaited equaliser, but there was also still enough time to turn the match into their favour for the home team. Apart from that, Aue were forced to participate actively to the game again though Bochum clearly were on top of the game now and kept pushing for the winner.

The closing stages of the game got more and more hectic and referee Kampka could have been awarding another penalty for Bochum but a foul by Kalig inside the box remained unpunished. On the other hand, Weilandt as well as Tim Hoogland were booked by the ref. The home team created chance after chance in the dying minutes but it took until the very last minute of injury time, until players and fans finally had every reason to celebrate. A long ball into the box was extended by Ganvoula and again, it was Weilandt who got on the ball and artistically converted as the ball flew into the upper left corner of the goal. The game was over and it was time to celebrate another important home win!